|Dannel P. Malloy
|Paul R. LePage
|Margaret Wood Hassan
Newfoundland & Labrador
H. Wade MacLauchlan
Prince Edward Island
39th NEG/ECP Annual Conference St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador
The NEG/ECP recently held their 39th conference in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador. The following material from the conference is provided below.
The signed resolutions:
The final consolidated committee report is available here.
The three conference presentations are available here:
- Adam Sieminski, Administrator, EIA who discussed the region’s changing energy landscape.
- Jackie Janes, Assistant Deputy Minister, Office of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency, Government of Newfoundland and Labrador, set the stage for discussion of energy innovation for a low-carbon economy.
- Trevor Bell, Professor, Department of Geography, Memorial University of Newfoundland provided a brief and high-level overview of the science of climate change and its impact on the NEG/ECP region.
Since 1973, the six New England states and the five Eastern Canadian provinces have worked cooperatively to address their shared interests across the border. Through the annual conferences of governors and premiers and discussions of joint committees, NEG/ECP encourages cooperation by:
- developing networks and relationships,
- taking collective action,
- engaging in regional projects,
- undertaking research, and
- increasing public awareness of shared interests.
Among the topics recently addressed by the governors and premiers are:
- ensuring a clean, efficient and reliable energy future for the region,
- energy innovation for a competitive economy,
- changing global energy markets and the region’s energy landscape,
- cross-border partnerships for economic development and trade,
- transportation and air quality,
- climate change action plans and greenhouse gas emission reduction strategies,
- energy efficient vehicle and infrastructure technologies, and
- cross border mutual aid in emergency planning.
The 11 member jurisdictions of NEG/ECP are: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Québec.
Current NEG/ECP joint committees include: the Committee on the Environment and its Climate Change Steering Committee, the Northeast International Committee on Energy, and the Transportation and Air Quality Committee.
Additional information on the NEG/ECP and its resolutions and programs is available at: http://www.cap-cpma.ca/default.asp?mn=184.108.40.206
CONEG Policy Research Center provides secretariat support for the NEG/ECP.